Thursday, May 6, 2010

Alternatives to Normal Back-Up Plans


After my freak out a few days ago, I got on the internet and started looking up (however asinine this is to search):

'alternatives to college.'

Yeah. And it was even a suggested search in Google. Which may or may not be a sign.

Anyway, I came across several things:
*Trade School - not for me. Although, it is a very viable path for many people, it's just not for me.
*Military - nope. Thinking about it makes my arms fall off. I am not cut out for military work.
*stepping straight into a job - tempting... but I don't have any sort of formal training so my options are pretty limited.
*Peace Corps - now... at first glance, an absolute no. At second glance...

WHY HAVE I NEVER EVEN CONSIDERED THIS BEFORE?

Problems:
*You have to have a college degree (at least an associates) and I am so sick of being in school, I could just spit.
*They don't go to Scotland. This isn't really a problem, just a bummer. I could do some youth development in Scotland! Sigh.

Awesome things:
*They give you an allowance and it doesn't actually cost you anything (beyond basic things).
*They give you money to transition back into US life once you get back. That's legit.
*It looks incredible on any resume. Come on. Who wouldn't hire someone who saved little children in Africa?
*It would allow me to travel like I have been itching to do since I got back from Scotland my sophomore year of high school.

Unfortunately, the college degree thing poses a problem. So... I researched this:

'alternatives to peace corps.'

And came up with:

Cross-Cultural Solutions
Global Volunteers
AmeriCorps
United Planet
Food First
Transitions Abroad
Serve Your World
America's Second Harvest
Points of Light

and my personal favorite...

Projects Abroad. Oh yes. It is incredible.

Awesome things:
*You don't have to have a college degree. It was first created for college kids such as myself who just need to take some time away. Gap year, they call it.
*You don't need prior training in most cases (unless you want to do medical relief).
*You are paired with a host family with at least one child who speaks english. This is such a relief because I cannot learn a foreign language in the time before I left.
*They only go to countries that are politically stable and provide ridiculously good amounts of security contacts.
*You are completely provided for.
*Every town they place volunteers has an internet cafe. That's a guarantee on their website. Seriously? How's that for foresight. Hello, Blog.

Problems. Nah, lets call them... things to consider:
*It does cost money... however, it is $4,000 total. Total. For everything. That includes plane tickets, bus fare, meals, housing, everything except extraneous spending money. That's amazing.
*I couldn't think of other problems.

So what would I do volunteering in a foreign country, you ask?

Well, I'm thinking about teaching english to kids. I don't want to be a teacher in life, but there is something about working with kids in a third world country that just sounds soul-rejuvenating.

Where would I want to go?

Morocco. Yes. I have wanted to go forever, which you may or may not know about me, and the program there is amazing.

When would I go?

Well, that's an excellent question... and a bridge I will cross at a later point. I would probably take some time to work and get money together. Which could take a while.

Why? Why this instead of say... Metro and just finishing my degree?

I have been and will always be a practician of instant gratification. I must have something to enrich my soul at all times or I am just miserable. So... I am exploring things that would do just that.

Isn't Morocco an Islamic nation?

Yes it is. It doesn't make me at all nervous, I would not run through the streets proclaiming Christianity, nor would I denounce or disrespect the religion of the nation. That is a no-brainer.

Maybe I should... take a deep breath and think about it?

Yup, I'm gonna think about it. But it is certainly an incredible back-up plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment